Serves 4 Gluten free / short soak required
1 ½ cups brown rice
200 gms natural tempeh
1 ½ tbs tamari
½ cup water
150 gms leek
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbs tamari
¼ cup water
3 cups water
500 gms pumpkin
1/3 cup savory yeast flakes
100 gms spinach
- Soak rice in plenty of water for 1 hour. Drain, rinse and drain again.
- Cut the square of tempeh into strips and then cut on the angle to create diamonds or triangles.
- Marinate tempeh in 1 ½ tbs tamari and ½ cup water and refrigerate until required. Basting occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 200OC.
- Wash leeks well and chop into ½cm rounds.
- Saute leeks, garlic and tamari in¼ cup of water in medium saucepan until soft and transparent.
- Dice pumpkin into bite-sized pieces.
- When leeks are cooked, add rice. Slowly add 3 cups of water and bring to the boil. Simmer with lid on for 15 minutes.
- Add diced pumpkin and savory yeast flakes to rice mixture and place in a casserole dish with the lid on. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Place tempeh and marinade in ovenproof dish and bake for 20-30 minutes in the oven. Time to be ready at same time as rice.
- Remove the rice from the oven when cooked and fold through the washed spinach, which will wilt with the heat of the rice. Be careful not to mash up the pumpkin. Drain marinade from the tempeh and season the pumpkin risotto with the leftover marinade if desired.
Serve pumpkin risotto in a bowl with tempeh arranged on top, or mix tempeh through the rice.
For more recipes and healthy food tips see our new Eat Well: Live Well cookbook click here for further information.
Eat Well: Live Well – NEW nutrition and meditation retreat
Try the food on our new three day retreat that encourages a fresh approach to practical food preparation, mindful meditation and food as medicine. Click here for further information.