1 kg mixed dried fruit
2 cups green tea
2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- Make two cups of green tea with two teabags
- Pour the green tea over the dried fruit, cover with a plate and leave to soak overnight
- Next morning, preheat oven to 125 deg. C
- Fold the flour into the fruit.
- Line a 20cm/9” spring form baking tin with baking paper and place the cake mix into the baking tin, evening out the mixture so that it is flat on top.
- Bake on the lowest rack in the oven for 2-1/2 hours. Check after this time with a skewer in the centre of the cake to see if cooked through. Leave longer in oven if necessary and check again.
Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting.
Variations: for a denser cake (like a Christmas pudding) use three cups of green tea and three cups of SR flour.
Will keep for 3-4 weeks in an airtight container if it lasts that long!
Inspiration from the wonderful women of the Country Women’s Association.