This simple recipe is one of our most requested; a delicious nutrious treat perfect to share.
Makes 24 gluten free / food processor required
1 ¾ cups whole almonds with the skin on
2 cups pitted dates (or substitute sultanas, currants, prunes dried apricots or dried figs)
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
1/4 cocoa (optional)
- Place all almonds into a food processor and roughly chop.
- Remove 1 1/2 cups of the roughly chopped almonds and set aside. Continue to process the remaining almonds until they are a fine meal.
- Remove the almond meal from food processor and add cocoa. Set aside for rolling stage to coat the balls.
- Chop dates by hand into quarters making sure all the pips are removed.
- Return the 1 1/2 cups of the chopped almonds and the chopped dates into the food processor. Add vanilla essence and process until the mixture is well combined.
- Take a heaped teaspoon of this mixture, form it into a ball and roll in the reserved almond/cocoa meal. Repeat this until you have used up all the mixture. It is recommended that balls be kept small as this mixture is very rich.
Balls can be stored for up to three days in the refrigerator.
For more recipes and healthy food tips see our new Eat Well: Live Well cookbook click here for further information.
Eat Well: Live Well – NEW nutrition and meditation retreat
Or join us on a three day retreat that encourages a fresh approach to practical food preparation, mindful meditation and food as medicine. Click here for further information.