French Lentil and Tofu Bolognaise with Pasta
Just because we eat plant-based does not mean we miss out on anything, in fact, a whole new exciting world opens up! We get to eat all our favourite dishes with a few alterations to make them immensely healthy and we never have to feel guilty for going back for seconds (or thirds!).
French Lentil and Tofu Bolognaise
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 celery stalk – diced
- 2 medium carrots – diced
- 1 parsnip – diced
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary – chopped fine
- ¼ tsp fresh thyme – chopped fine
- 1 zucchini – grated
- 5 mushrooms – sliced
- 200g firm tofu – grated
- 800ml cooked crushed tomato (or 2 tins crushed tomato plus 2 tsp tomato paste)
- 1 cup French green lentils – soak for 1 hour
- A few sprigs of fresh basil and parsley
- Sauté onion in deep pot with a little water until it caramelises.
- Add carrot, celery and parsnip and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Add thyme and rosemary and sauté for another 2 minutes
- Add tomato and bring to a simmer.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms and tofu and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Once lentils have soaked – strain, rinse and place in boiling water to cook for approximately 40 minutes, then strain and add to bolognaise and cook on low heat for another 20 – 30 minutes
- Serve with pasta of choice and sprinkle with plant-based parmesan and some fresh green leaves.
OPTIONAL: You can add an extra cup of any type of cooked bean or legume i.e.; cannellini beans, adzuki beans, red kidney beans etc.
- ½ cup raw almonds – unsoaked and with skin on
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- ½ tsp dried onion flakes
- 2Tbsp savoury yeast flakes (also called nutritional yeast flakes)
- Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until it resembles fine breadcrumbs or parmesan cheese.
- Store in airtight container in fridge (it will last at least 2 weeks).