Serves 4 gluten-free / short soak
1 cup Brown Lentils
2 cloves Garlic
200 gms Mushrooms
1 large Carrot
2 sticks Celery
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp Oregano
400gms Diced Tomatoes (1 tin)
4 tbs Tomato Paste
2 cups Water
1 tsp Honey
1 tbs Tamari
- Lentils can be soaked in water for one hour before use. Drain soaking water from lentils, rinse well and drain again.
- Finely dice the onions and crush the garlic. Sauté the onions and garlic in a little water in a heavy-based medium saucepan until transparent and soft.
- Clean and cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Wash and trim the carrot and zucchini and grate.
- Wash and trim the celery and slice finely.
- Add the lentils, mushrooms, carrot, celery, zucchini, bay leaves, oregano and water. Stir well, cover and bring to the boil.
- Cook until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Check occasionally that there is enough liquid and that the sauce is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and bring back to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add tamari and honey, and adjust seasoning. Remove bay leaf. This sauce can be blended with a hand-held blender if you like it to be a creamier consistency.
(Don’t over do it!) Serve with pasta of choice.
For more recipes and healthy food tips see our new Eat Well: Live Well cookbook click here for further information.
Eat Well: Live Well – NEW nutrition and meditation retreat
Try the food on our new three day retreat that encourages a fresh approach to practical food preparation, mindful meditation and food as medicine. Click here for further information.