Sweet Potato and Eggplant Terrine
Besan flour, also known as chickpea flour, gram or garbanzo bean flour is a great alternative to wheat flour and is gluten free. Widely used in India, besan flour is packed with important nutrients including iron, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, manganese, folate, thiamine, fibre and protein. In fact, while wheat flour has to be fortified with folate, 92g of besan flour naturally contains 101% of the RDI of folate.
Too much focus has been on wheat flour, there are so many other flours out there – it’s time to experiment ????. Enjoy!
- 1 cup roasted sweet potato mash
- 1 cup besan flour
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp fresh zested ginger
- ¼ tsp bicarb
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 200 g firm tofu
- 1 cup soy milk
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 eggplant finely sliced
- 1 zucchini finely sliced
- ½ stick of celery – finely diced
- Asparagus spears
- Fresh dill
- Puree mash and blend with flour, spices, bicarb and baking powder
- Puree tofu with milk in food processor, add to sweet potato mix and season with lime juice and zest.
- Line a terrine dish (loaf dish) with baking paper and then layer the sweet potato mix with the sliced eggplant and zucchini.
- Top with the celery and asparagus and bake in oven for approximately 1 hour at 1800
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes to set.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh dill and serve hot or cold.